Monday, January 23, 2017

January 2017 Donation Quilt

The January 2017 donation quilt is shown on a twin size bed.

The flannel backing was donated to me by Sue O Keefe who works at Schrader's Fabrics by Barb.

Binding was all done with my sewing machine.
If you have scraps make them into a quilt. If you ask around your community, you'll find that there is always an organization willing to accept your art.

Monday, December 19, 2016

December Donation Quilt

Orders in my Etsy shop slowed down enough for me to catch up on sewing some donation quilts. Made just in time for Christmas is the December donation quilt. I used mostly Christmas fabrics in this quilt. I love the way it turned out.

Top Of Quilt
Most of these fabrics were donated or bought at yard sales.

The flannel backing was a panel and 2 pieces from a donation. These particular fabrics were donated to me by my quilting friend Sue O' Keefe, who works at :

Sorry about the terrible pictures. This quilt was donated to the Gabriel Project, a local charity which helps out young mothers.

If you have scraps, make a quilt. Be the change you want to see in the world, one stitch at a time.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

November Donation blanket

For November, I knit a blanket to donate instead of quilting one. The yarn used for this project was left over from other projects and bought at yard sales and thrift stores. Some yarn was also donated to me.

The yarn used was Light and Lofty and Baby Clouds. I collected enough to make a blanket and worked it up in stripes.

My son is modeling the blanket for me. It was a cold day. I was pretty warm finishing this one up.

The final product measured 44 inches by 60 inches.

It was donated to Project Gabriel, a local charity which helps out young mothers.

If you have extra yarn scraps lying around, turn them into a blanket!!

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

October Donation Quilt

October Donation Quilt

My 2 boys helped me hold this quilt up. It looks a lot like my September quilt and was a lot of fun to make.

The one I'm making for November will be similar to this one. My inspiration came from the leaves changing colors.

This quilt has been donated to the Gabriel project.

Materials used for this quilt were left over from other projects, yard sale finds and clearance rack deals.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Pieced Batting - October Quilt Preview

Anyone who quilts knows that batting can sometimes be one of the most expensive parts of putting a quilt together. This summer I collected as much batting as I could from yard sales. Some of my stash has big pieces. Many pieces are small.

After doing some research online, I found that piecing together quilt batting isn't hard, it's just tedious and time consuming.

Here's my latest pieced quilt batting:

Yes, that is a piece of red felt. No, you will not see it in the final product. The batting is different thicknesses. I've done this before and the finished quilt always comes out nice.

I try to save money where I can, so the thread was also from a yard sale.

During the fall and winter, when there are no more yard sales to go to, I use up my supplies a little at a time. Then in the summer I restock.

I have fun doing this. A lot of this batting, would've gone to a landfill. Get out your scraps and get creative. I'll post a picture of the October donation quilt when it's all done :-)

Monday, September 26, 2016

September Quilt for Project Gabriel

I'm a little behind on my quilting and posting. I believe I donated my August quilt without posting it on here. Woops!

Here's a cute September quilt to make up for that.

You'll have to tilt your head to the side to view the quilt as it is meant to be.

This beauty measures 40 inches by 60 inches.

It is getting donated to Project Gabriel, a Catholic charity which helps young women. 

The quilting method is Quilt As You Go. 

I had a lot of fun with this one. I was able to use up scraps from my stash.

The batting was pieced together from pieces I had bought at a yard sale. The flannel backing was donated to me by employees of Schrader's Fabrics

Binding is machine sewn so that it can put up with the abuse of a washing machine and dryer.

I hope you enjoyed this post. Keep on quilting and using up those scraps for a good cause!

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

July Donation Quilt

For July I decided to do mini sensory quilts.

They are 12 inches by 12 inches. I used different types of fabric to construct them.  I used corduroy, faux leather, fleece, minky, quilting fabric and felt.