Friday, February 12, 2016

Crafty philanthropy

2015 was so busy for me, that I didn't even post on here. wow

So 2016 is here. I'm excited for this year so far. I started doing something different last year with my Etsy shop. With the profits from my shop, I made different things for charitable causes. The main focus of 2015 was the ConKerr Cancer pillow case project. I would make a pillowcase for item I sold in my shop. In 2015, I was able to make 210 pillowcases.

2016 rolls around and I'm still gung ho with making pillowcases. Then a bomb gets dropped on me. My donation spot, Fabrics by Barb, told me that they no longer needed pillowcases made. On top of that, someone donated a bunch of fabric to me and left it at the shop.

I was left scratching my head. What the heck was I going to do with a beautiful bag of fabric wonderfulness????

I also kept thinking about the bins of yarn in my basement.

I asked around and found several places willing to take quilts and other crafts. As of now I'm currently crafting for 3 charitable causes:

Project Gabriel: This project helps out girls who decide they want to keep their baby.

My local hospital. They had a need for lap comfort quilts and isolette covers

My local PTO.  I may be awful at fund raising, but I'm great at crafting. They love my cute free crafts :-)

I may add to this list as the year goes on.

What I'll be doing this year is using my profits from my Etsy shop to get the supplies needed for making quilts and other craft goodies. I'll try to keep up with posting the pictures of projects on here so that my customers can see what their purchases help me produce.

Why bother doing this stuff?? I just enjoy being a crafty philanthropist.

Stay tuned, more crafty madness is on the way.

No comments: